Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Don't Wanna Grow Up!

So this week was my 31st birthday. This one didn't bother me so much, after all, it's just another day. Jacob woke me up in the morning and gave me a birthday card from he and Aaron. It was "Kittens From Around the World" Meowing their birthday wishes in several different languages. Quite hysterical. Aaron loved it and insisted that I push the buttons so the cats would meow all day long. Jacob then designed a Scavenger Hunt for me. He gave me some clues to find my "surprise" and when I found it, it turned out to be a picture he had drawn. A picture of a cherry (with a smiley face) that said "Happy Birthday Mama, You are as funny as a cherry". :-)  He was so proud of himself - he must have asked me two dozen times if I liked my gift.
However, the most significant event of the day had nothing to do with my birthday.

We had Aaron's IFSP meeting on my birthday. For those of you who don't know (which is probably most of you), an IFSP is an Individualized Family Service Plan. It's basically where we meet with his Service Coordinator (and sometimes one or several of his therapists) and discuss his goals for the next six months. We talk about what he has accomplished and what he needs to be working on.We do this every six months and they are not usually a big deal. But this one was a little different. It was our last meeting with our great coordinator who we have come to love and have a great relationship with. She works with the Early Intervention department which only services children from birth to age 3. Since Aaron will be three next week, we have to transition to the "Child" department where we will get a new coordinator. The way they work is a little different and we'll have to get to know a new person. I knew this would happen when he turned three of course, but it's still hard. It seems like just when we get used to one thing, we have to change and learn a whole new system. As soon as he starts school (which he will be eligible for when he turns three but won't be going yet) we will have to learn yet another new system. We "get" to start the journey through the IEP (Individualized Education Plan) and do everything we can to make sure he gets the education we want him to have. It's stressful just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment