Monday, February 6, 2012

Craft Time

Although I am not very "artistic", I do have a creative streak and a love of making things that most definitely came from my mother. Being the only female in the house, I am pretty much on my own when I want to take on a craft project, but that's alright. Trying to find a big enough chunk of time to actually get something done is always a challenge, but every once in a while the stars align and I manage to finish one of my many projects.

Since no one in my house really cares about any of the things I make (what can I say, they are boys) I figured I would share them here!

Most of these ideas came from Pinterest, or were inspired by things I found there. I love that site! Makes me feel crafty even when I'm not. :-)


I saw a similar sign on Pinterest that was made by someone that was selling it on Etsy for about $40. I LOVE the saying, but didn't want to shell out the money for it, so I thought I would try to make one myself. I found a piece of plywood and a decorative dowel at Michael's and painted them both white. Cut the letters out of scrapbook paper using my Cricut machine and glued them down with Mod Podge. I added a picture hanger to the back and voila! I love that I was able to make it my own, with the colors I wanted and only spent about 10 bucks.

I came up with this one on my own! The door hanger cost 99 cents and I had everything else. White craft paint, black paint pen, green Sharpie and the Cricut machine to cut out the monkey and vine. I think it's cute, but Aaron likes to take it off the door and throw it. Of course.

I actually made this several months ago and have been using it with much success! I got the inspiration for this from Pinterest as well. Each child has a pocket with "technology tickets". I cut up pieces of scrapbook paper and tied ribbons to the ends. Each ticket is worth 30 minutes of technology time (tv, video games, computer, etc). Jacob gets 14 tickets per week and can use them as he pleases but once they are gone, they are gone for the week. Occasionally, we take away a few tickets when he gets in trouble as well. There are limitations, he can't use any until his homework is done and he can't use them all at once. Mom and Dad always have the right to overrule his decision on when/how to use them. For the most part it has worked great. Makes it easier (for both of us) to see how much time he has spent in front of a screen.

Thanks for taking the time to see what I have made over the past few months! 


No comments:

Post a Comment